Liberty University Says’ No’ to Democrats
By Karyn Brownlee | BrighterWalk.com
Posted 9:14 pm on May 26, 2009
As of last Friday, Lynchburg, Virginia's Liberty University said "no" to Democrats. It was reported that the leadership of the largest, fastest -growing evangelical campus ordered the college Democrats club to cease, because it stands against the conservative Christian school's moral principles. Not exactly true, says Liberty President Jerry Falwell, Jr. The group may still meet on campus, but will not be an officially recognized club of the university and may not use Liberty's name or funds.
Falwell writes, "Parents and students support the university because they believe in its distinctly Christian identity and mission. Liberty University is pro-life and believes that marriage between one man and one woman provides the best environment for children. Liberty University will not lend its name or financial support to any student group that advances causes contrary to its mission.
"While the students in the college Democrat club are pro-life and support traditional marriage, the constitution of the club pledged support to advance the Democratic platform and candidates. For the first time (the platform) supports federal funding of abortion and repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, a law passed overwhelmingly by a bi-partisan Congress and signed by President Bill Clinton. Liberty University will not lend its name or financial support to undermine marriage or to promote abortion."
Is saying "no" to Democrats the same as saying "no" to democracy? Some might think so. A democracy, according to the Encarta Dictionary, is "free and equal representation of people." But who said democracy rules everywhere?
Yes, we have a democratic government, and I'm thankful for it. We have the freedom to vote for our elected officials, those who will make the decisions for the governing of our nation; and every person has the free and equal right to participate. But even in a democracy, there is not an equal representation of people everywhere. Separations do exist for a variety of reasons:
1. Women's restrooms are meant for women. Men's restrooms are meant for men.
2. Catholic churches are intended for Catholics. Mosques are built for Muslims.
3. Gay bars are created as a safe spot for homosexuals to socialize. Married adult Bible study classes are designed to minister to husbands and wives following the biblical model for marriage.
There's a Black Writer's Reunion and Conference being held in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. Sounds like fun. But then again, as Tia Ross explained in "Why Attend BWRC," the reason this conference is so special is because the presenters are committed to the "collective mission of uplifting the Black writing community and the quality of Black literature." Respectfully, our missions are just not the same. Perhaps I would benefit more from a different writer's conference.
Likewise, any student considering a college has the responsibility and freedom to choose a school that aligns with his or her personal beliefs and mission. Liberty makes it clear in their doctrinal statement that they believe the Bible as the absolute standard for living. It is no secret most conservative Christian groups who look to the Bible as the rule book for life agree homosexuality is not God's plan for mankind.
People have the freedom to join the Democratic Party, the Republican Party or any other party. Similarly, students have the freedom to choose where they invest their time and money in a college education. If a student does not agree with a conservative Christian college's belief system, he or she would be wise to find another school. It's his or her freedom to do so.
Related Articles and Blogs
- Falling In Line
- Remembering Our Country’s Beginnings
- The Freedom Of Serving The Lord
- Weaker Faith Outreach Efforts Partly To Blame For Democrat Losses
- The Question of Responsible Parents
- Health care vote nears, what is our response?
- Voting against the wishes of the people
More Posts by This Author
- What America Needs: Positive Communication
- Why an Imperfect World?
- Highway Sign Denouncing Homosexuals Causes Stir in Texas
- For Kidnap Victim Gracia Burnham ‘God is Enough’
- House Speaker Boehner Praises Christian Media Leaders, Criticizes Washington
- NRB Convention Opens With Challenge To Christian Communicators
- Christian Communicators To Meet In Nashville